SINGAPORE, 7 February 2011: The 2011 S.League Charity Shield will pit the Great Eastern – YEO’S S.League defending champions Etoile FC and RHB Singapore Cup runners-up Tampines Rovers at the Jalan Besar Stadium this Wednesday, 9 February at 7.30pm.
As a curtain raiser to the 2011 S.League season, the two powerhouses will go head to head for a good cause as proceeds from this year’s edition will go to the President’s Challenge 2011.
An initiative started by President S.R. Nathan in 2000, the President’s Challenge is an annual series of community-based activities aimed at helping the less fortunate.
Facts and Figures ahead of the big clash:
- This will be the fourth edition of the S.League Charity Shield. SAFFC clinched the first ever S.League Charity Shield after edging out Home United 5-4 on penalties after a 1-1 full-time draw in 2008.
- To date, the Stags have never beaten the Stars in all domestic competitions.
- Wednesday’s clash will see the 2010 S.League’s meanest defense in Etoile FC take on the deadliest strike force in Tampines Rovers.
- This will be both sides’ first ever appearance in the S.League Charity Shield match
- The match will provide both head coaches with their first taste of S.League action. The Stars have appointed Guglielmo Arena as new head coach while former Singapore International Steven Tan will be leading the Stags for the 2011 S.League season.
Etoile FC vs. Tampines Rovers FC
Date: Wednesday, 9 February 2011
Venue: Jalan Besar Stadium
Adult Gallery: $6.00
*Student / Senior Citizen Gallery: $2.00
(*Applicable for Secondary, JC and ITE students with proof of concession pass.)
(*Gallery Senior Citizen is applicable to aged 60 and above with proof of concession pass.)
Tickets will be on sale at the Jalan Besar Stadium South Entrance on matchday from 6.00pm.
CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT
FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF SINGAPORE
7 February 2011