Skip to main content

Fiery Misery Ended Stags' Season 2015 ...

Referee Muhd Taqi (right) sticking close to action 
The night ended in a misery for Tampines Rovers for not only unable to clinch the S.League title as a farewell gift for their long-serving former chairman and benefactor - Mr Teo Hock Seng but also saw the one-all draw against Harimau Muda ended in an undesirable manner when two of their players were accounted for the three marching orders flashed out by referee Muhd Taqi.

Prior to the start of the match at Jurong West, the equation was simple - the Stags, for having trailing large part of the season behind eventual winners Brunei DPMM, need to beat Malaysian developmental squad by two clear goals while hoping Balestier Khalsa could repeat another giant-killing act by defeat the Wasps at home to ensure the fifteen-kilogram silverware remain in the Republic (although the league authority had it flown to Brunei, as reported in the papers).

Referee Taqi flashed his first red in the 35th minute to Isa Halim
Mateo Roskam (left) engaged in an aerial battle
With much tension at stake one could see how the Stags felt the brunt of it when they conceded an early goal in seventh minute when a soft effort by Ariff Farhan gave the visitors the surprise lead in the match that was televised live.

Soon after which the match turned pretty physical that any spark could trigger any form of free-for-all that would put the match officials under intense pressure to keep things in order which also meant the use of red card to serve as a form of deterrent like midfield anchorman Isa Halim was the first of the book when he shown straight red on his face for the violent conduct in the 35th minute.

Harimau Muda protested the spot-kick decision in the 55th minute
Rodrigo Tosi battled out for the possession 
However, that did not ensure the game any trouble free with referee Taqi had to be firm in his decision (like how he awarded the penalty in the 55th minute that led to the equalizer by Tampines in spite of the vehemently protest by the Harimau Muda players) and swift to get in between to break up any sort of confrontation during the match with tempers flared momentarily throughout the match resulted defender Kenny Pallraj collected his second yellow in the 82nd minute to head for the early shower.

"Along" was given the marching order barely seconds onto the field
But none of that can be compared to the third shown by the reigning referee of the year when he had to reach for his pocket to give veteran striker Noh Alam Shah, who only came in barely seconds to replace Zulfadli Zainal Abidin, for making a violent charge at the Harimau Muda custodian Ilham Amirullah inside the box.

That harsh act witnessed a bust-up that the former national striker had to be restrained by a group of his team-mates before ushered to the dressing room for that near five minute of standoff.


Please Check Out These Posts Below Before You Leave

Strategic Player Selection Crucial for Singapore in Upcoming AFF Championship

Some Pictures from the pre-match training sessions for the "Sultan of Selangor Cup 2009"

Wishful Thinking...

1977 - The Best Year In Singapore Football?

[Instant Reaction] SEA GAMES Semi-Final - Singapore 1-4 Vietnam [edited]